2.08.2009

A Neat Experience In An Unexpected Place

I wanted to share with everyone something that happened to Howie and I tonight. It's the little serendipitious moments like this that really open my eyes to the wonderful people around me. This evening we went out to eat at a local Sizzler's. We don't normally go out on Sundays like this, but Howie had Army stuff all weekend and this was the only night we had to spend together. Anyway, right after we sat down at our table an older gentleman came up to us and said to Howie "You probably don't deserve a pretty girl like that, do ya? I don't think so." Howie just laughed and the man turned to me and said "But you probably do, don't ya?" And I said "Yes, he's a good guy." The old man continued to tease us by saying to me "Did you have your glasses on when you first saw him?" I laughed and said "Actually, these glasses came a little while later." Then he said to us both "I just love to see young couples. It reminds me of my wife. We used to come here." His eyes suddenly filled with tears and I could see the pain in his expression. He then turned to Howie and said "Never let her go." And then he walked away. I didn't know what to say after he said that and my eyes instantly filled with tears after I noticed that his did. I was completely speechless. After the man left, his words were all I could think about. I felt sorry for him and what he was going through. I can't imagine what it's like to go through the emotions of losing someone you love. I've never lost anyone I've been super close to. I've lost Grandparents, but they were all when I was quite young. This experience has made me not want to take any moment for granted. We only get one shot at this life and I don't want to look back at the life Howie and I shared and think there could've been so much more I could've done to make the most out of it. I want to enjoy the journey now. I am glad that we had this experience. I truly believe we were supposed to be there at that moment. It did us good because Howie's hand didn't leave mine for the remainder of the evening and I could tell there was just a bit more of an urgency in opening doors for me. This mans words meant a lot to us and I'm glad he said them. I will remember this instance for a long time to come.

1 comment:

Tyler and Julia said...

WOW; What a great story! I've found that it's so worthwhile to spend time talking with seniors. They're so full of wisdom, having experienced much more than we have in life. It's also wonderful to see how there are so many people who really do spend their whole lives together. Thanks for sharing. :)