11.22.2011

Compliments

Last Sunday, Howie and I attended a missionary homecoming for one of his cousins.  I had accidently set my alarm clock for 7pm instead of 7am that morning so, we ran a little late leaving the house to be there on time.  We sat through the entire meeting and when we were finally ready to get up and leave, a young girl (maybe 16 or 17?) jumped out of her seat, which was two rows behind us, just to come over and tell me "I love your hair!  I just had to tell you."  Because of running late that day, I didn't feel like my hair was really up to par.  Certainly not to a standard worthy of receiving compliments from random strangers.  I love receiving unexpected compliments like this, but I feel bad when I get them, too.  My whole entire life, I've always struggled with the small act of accepting a compliment.  I appear to accept it from the outside, but inside I always doubt them.  It's just part of my nature.

I remember once when I was around 15ish, I had complained to my Mom about what a bad hair day I was having.  Later that same day we went to a family Christmas party and one of my cousins came up to me and complimented me on my hair and said it was "Cute!".  I immediately turned around and said "Did my Mom tell you to say that to me??"  She looked at me all confused and said "No, I just wanted you to know I thought your hair looked cute today."

So, because of my insecurities and how I feel when I receive compliments, I find that I rarely ever give compliments.  It's sad, but true.  So, when this girl went so out of her way on Sunday to tell me she loved my curly red hair, I was taken back.  But, I've thought of it ever since!  I admire people that can go up to complete strangers and brighten their day with something as simple as a compliment.  I challenge you to compliment someone today.  They will appreciate it!

And just for fun, watch this video.  These two Purdue University students used to stand outside every Wednesday from 12:30 to 2pm and give out "Free Compliments" to people who walked by.  What an awesome idea!

No comments: