6.19.2013

Candlelit Dinner

There are some dinners you come home to cook and you just go through the motions.  

You cut up the chicken.
You put the rolls in the oven.
You cook the corn.
You cook and mash the potatoes.
Your goal is just to put a meal on the table.

All the while you are reflecting on the day at work you've had.  You're thinking about all the things you need to do the rest of the week.  Errands you need to run.  Frustrations that exist.

There are some dinners like this that end with two people scarfing down the meal to get on their way to other things that need to be done and then there are dinners like the one we had last night.  After preparing said meal above I called Howie to come and eat.  He didn't respond.  Frustrated in thinking that he fell asleep after I had worked and slaved over a hot stove, I went looking for him.  He wasn't in our bed.  He wasn't in the spare bedroom.  I notice the master closet light is on and so I open the door.  In the closet I find Howie putting the finishing touches on his Sunday best outfit.  Tie and all.  Instantly I smile and say "What are you doing?"  He smiles back and says "Getting ready for our special dinner you've made."  His choice of words are humorous to me since I didn't consider anything necessarily "special" about our dinner.  I was putting a meal on the table.  That was all.  He then asks "Do we have any candles?  Some music maybe?"

Our everyday, mundane meal instantly turned into something romantic and needed.

It's easy to get caught up in the daily grind and forget the importance of bonding with one another.  This simple gesture from Howie made my heart absolutely swell for him.  He is the sweetest man and I am so lucky to have him in my life.

No comments: