7.14.2010

Summer Dress Project

This summer I thought it would be fun to make a summer dress for myself. I am by no means a seamstress. However, my Mom has always been good with a sewing machine. Lucky me! Plus, I haven't been able to find that perfect dress. It's always too short, not the right color, etc, etc. I also find this to be a perfect opportunity to get some time with my Mom. It doesn't seem like we ever get to do much together. She is always busy. Always has something going on. Plus, my parents are raising one of my nieces so it's not like they have all the free time in the world to do as they please. But, life hands us lemons and we make lemonade, right?

I'm super excited so, let me show you what our plans are.
Here is the pattern picture:
I want it to look pretty much like this, but longer. We'll just add length to it. Another adjustment we're making is to the bow. I want to make a flower broach type of thing out of the same material we're using for the dress. I have a picture in my mind. We'll just have to make it a reality.
Here is the material for the overall dress:
And this material is for the strip that goes across the boddess:
Together they look like:
They go so well together, don't you think?

This dress is for Hawaii. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

1 comment:

Tyler and Julia said...

Yeah for you Tara! I desperately need to learn how to sew. It didn't really hit me until I went back-to-school shopping (or in this case, starting-school-shopping) for Aubrey. I was disgusted by how immodest everything is these days, even for 5 & 6 year-olds! Sew (hahahaha), I should probably start learning. I can't wait to see this dress when it's finished. GOOD LUCK! ;)