9.07.2010

Mockingjay - SPOILER ALERT!

It would probably not be wise to read on unless you've read the book!

Wow, what an ending to a great series.  I must admit, I didn't think I was going to be happy with the ending until the final chapter and then the epilogue.

In Mockingjay, Katniss Everdeen finds herself in the midst of an uprising against the Capitol.  Her goal is to kill President Snow for all of the terrible things he's done to Panem and the people she loves.  She agrees to become "The Mockingjay" of the uprising (a.k.a. The Face of the uprising).  The Mockingjay becomes a symbol of what is right and what Panem is fighting for.  She agrees to become The Mockingjay, but what she doesn't agree to is becoming a puppet to the leader of the uprising, Alma Coin.  Coin is the President of District 13, the district that started the uprising to begin with.  But who can she really trust?  She puts herself on a personal mission to kill President Snow.  It's time for the Capitol to pay for the many lives that have been lost.  But how many lives will be lost to accomplish her ultimate goal?

There are 27 chapters in this book and I was a little disappointed when I got through with chapter 26.  I so wanted this series to have an ending I was satisfied with.  In the middle of chapter 27, it brought tears to my eyes.  Unfortunately, they were not tears of joy.  They were of saddness.  But I really don't know how else Suzanne Collins could've ended the story.  The epilogue made me feel better about how it ended, but I feel that a lot of this book was really rushed.  There were times that details were sacrificed.  Did you get that impression?  For example, sometimes I would read a paragraph and Katniss had traveled all across Panem in just that one paragraph.  Or days or even months had gone by in a single paragraph.  It made my head spin.

What did YOU think?

(I hope I didn't spoil too much for those of you who haven't read it yet, but I did warn you!)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I agree 100% the end was good. but...i thought that so much detail was left out. esp at the end. it was a book about war and than that ending was so rushed. it was like most the focus was on tying up the love triangle which imo was a piece of the story but not what the story was about.

Tyler and Julia said...

The ending was my favorite part, too. I was scatter-brained the whole time I was reading, trying to keep up with the story, and I also felt like Suzanne Collins had rushed this book way too much. I personally don't think it was written very well at all. I feel this exact same way with New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Stephenie Meyer didn't take her time writing w/ the rest of the series like she did Twilight, but w/ the Hunger Games I felt that both of the first 2 books were FAR better than this one. I also was FURIOUS with what Suzanne did to Peeta's character w/ the trackerjacker venom. I know why she did, but at the same time I really hated it because Peeta's my most favorite character. Rest assured, if she had killed him off at any point in the book I would have stopped right then & there. One last thing - I was really annoyed with how President Snow died. I mean, come on, chocking to death on his own blood, or being trampled to death by the crowd after Katniss shot Coin? Either way, Suzanne let him off WAY too easily, I think. There's my 2 cents-worth. ;)