10.26.2010

Maui - Part 2

Day 4

This was my favorite day of our trip.  It's been hard for me to pin point my favorite day until I started going through all the pictures.  I can honestly say now that this was my favorite one.
The "Road to Hana" was a blast!  It was my definition of Hawaii and everything I expected it to be.
There are many things to stop and see on the way to Hana.
Plenty of beaches.
We went on a little nature trail called Waikamoi Nature Trail and saw tons of huge trees.

It was nice to stretch our legs and take in the scenery.


Our next stop was to The Garden of Eden.
This is an amazing botanical garden.  A must see!
Bamboo Alley
Neat views



See the rock down near the shoreline?
That was used in the filming of the opening sequence in Jurrasic Park.
Here you can see the road we were on the entire day.
It was a little nerve racking driving the road at first.  It's a very narrow highway and only one lane in some parts.  But there are many bridges, waterfalls, and beaches along the way.
Here's the first waterfall we stopped for.  It's called Haipua'ena Falls.
Not much to see there.
I opted not to swim in that waterfall because of all the rotting fruit.
Before you know it, you're halfway to Hana!
We heard this place had awesome banana bread so, we had to try it out.

Howie also treated himself to some fresh pineapple.
The banana bread was ok.  Not the best I've had.
The second waterfall we came to was so worth the stop and hike!
Just past the 21 mile marker is a hunters road called Wailua Iki.
Walk ten minutes directly uphill and turn right when it forks.
You will be rewarded with this
I wasted no time jumping in.
 I swam right up to the waterfall.
 I would've played longer, but Howie wasn't into swimming in waterfalls which was a shame.
He just sat by and got bitten by mosquitos.
Our next stop was to a black sand beach at Wai'anapanapa Park.
Gorgeous!


 Again the ocean bug had bitten me and I jumped right in.

 We came across a lava tube on the beach.
Pictures turned out a little dark.
Lava tubes are formed when lava from volcanic vents forms a river that crusts over on top.
We came across a cemetery in the park.

 And gorgeous view after gorgeous view...



 The Wai'anapanapa Caves have a sad story to them...
 People were swimming in the cave so, this is the only picture I got of it.
 We finally left Wai'anapanapa to seek out some food.
The Maui Revealed book says that a little food shack in Hana Bay called Tutu's was the best place to get some food so, we sought it out.
 We enjoyed a yummy cheeseburger and french fries and
 shave ice!!
After our lunch/dinner we headed back onto the road for Ohe'o Gulch to see the
 Seven Sacred Pools.

 Do you see the pattern?  Water = Tara

I swam up to the waterfall to get this shot.
 The view looking out to the ocean from Ohe'o Gulch.
It started getting pretty late once we got to the Ohe'o Pools so, we decided to take the road all the way around the volcano (much to our car rental companies dismay).  They prohibit it because the road gets a lot rougher on the other side of the volcano but, they were none the wiser when we returned the car.  Plus, the drive after Hana was so amazing.  I'm glad we did it.
We were graced with a beautiful sunset on the drive home.

1 comment:

Kimmby said...

I bet the banana bread wasn't hot when you got it, right? Ours was right out of the oven and it was AMAZING!! Did you see the hog heads on the house right behind the stand? EWWW!

You should have gone swimming in that cave at Wai'anapanapa Park. The water was fresh and nice - pretty cold though! You could swim into the dark recesses of the cave - scary but cool!

We took the back road too - it was pretty bumpy but not too bad. Cool to see the contrast from lush and green to brown and desolate. I'm glad you had fun!!!