3.05.2009

FINALLY!

Look out! I'm doing a happy dance! So, I have always considered myself pretty good with money and finances. I even used to work for a credit card company and would laugh at how bad people were about taking care of their debts. Or just how clueless they were about what they had gotten themselves into. You would THINK I would be wise enough not to get a credit card after dealing with those types of people. But, no. I decided when I turned 19 that a credit card was a great idea and I would pay the balance off every month. Did that happen? No. It went from using it a little bit here and there to relying on it. I got comfortable in my spending habits and decided I was "managing" my debt just fine because I could make a payment on it each month. Well, one credit card turned into three and before you know it I was racking up a nice pile of debt. I'm such a sucker. Credit cards are evil! Well, the reason why I'm doing a happy dance is because we have officially PAID THEM ALL OFF! Oh, it's the biggest relief. I can't even tell you. During a Relief Society meeting one Sunday, we got onto the topic of debt and finance. My Bishop said it best when he said "Those who understand interest, GAIN it. Those who don't, PAY it." That's when it finally hit me that maybe I DON'T manage things as well as I thought I did. So, Howie and I decided that something HAS to change. So, we worked hard and we got it done. Our tax return helped out a ton, too. But now we only have two debts, Howie's car and our home. His car will be paid off within the next month. This is such a great thing for us. It will enable us to do so much more. I am proud of us! :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Woot! I am so proud of you too! We have a goal to be debt free by Jerret's 30th birthday (in Nov.) I can not wait to get there. I never want to take out another loan unless its a home. Amazing girl, amazing!

Are you a Dave Ramsey fan at all by chance?