9.13.2009

The Greek Festival - Onyx

On Saturday we went to The Greek Festival that is put on every year by The Greek Orthodox Church. We had a lot of fun! It was a very well organized event. I was very interested to see inside the church as I have never done so before.I didn't take pictures inside the church out of respect. However, I think they would've allowed it. The stainglass windows were amazing! They had a bunch of booths for you to check out items for sale. I was so happy to see all of the Greek jewelry. It reminded me of when I visited Greece two years ago. Ah, memories. I can't wait to visit Greece again.Howie and I were pretty hungry when we got to the event and the huge lamb cooking on a spit only intensified our hunger. Mmmmm, lamb. I wish I would've taken a picture of the food we ate. We had gyros, rice pilaf, green beans, and some kind of beef macaroni dish. The beef macaroni dish wasn't good...at all. It was dry. But I highly recommend the gyros! They had a booth set up where you could vote to name their Greek mascot. I voted for Kosta (Gus) and Howie voted for Vasili (Basil).Howie wearing his "I Voted" sticker! I didn't get any pictures of myself at the festival. That's what I get for being the girl behind the camera.They had a huge stage set up for entertainment and dancing. We sat for a while and just watched all of the dancers. They were so neat!There was one group that danced that I had a hard time paying attention to. I was too distracted by the pom-poms on their shoes...After the festival, we headed over to Petsmart to check out their Super Pet Adoption again. We went to this last year and ended up coming home with our cat, Jax. We've sort of thrown the idea around of getting a friend for Jax so he's not so bored and alone when we're not around. I didn't really think we'd take anything home with us, but what can I say. We're suckers for a cute kitty.Meet Onyx! This cute little guy came right to me and snuggled my face as soon as I held him. He's very affectionate. The only thing we worried about was how Jax was going to react to a new cat.Well, he wasn't happy about it. In fact, we'd never heard Jax growl until we took Onyx out of his carrier. Jax was frozen. He wouldn't make any sudden movements whatsoever. Onyx was fine. He just keeps his distance. But, Jax hasn't been around other cats in over a year, so you can understand his apprehensiveness. I would give it a few more days for Jax to come around. He just needs to get used to Onyx. We're so lucky to have found two really affectionate cats! They are great!

No comments: