6.21.2010

LASIK - Yikes!

I've decided to take the plunge and have LASIK done on my eyeballs.  I'm excited about the end result...I'm not excited about the procedure itself.  For some reason, the thought of a laser putting over a million pulses into my eye and then the doctor pulling back a flap from my cornea doesn't sound all that appealing.  Nor do I care to think about the bloodshot eyes and halo effect in your vision that you may get for a few days afterwards.

However, the prospect of having 20/20 vision is VERY appealing to me and makes any possible side effect or duration of procedure seem...minuscule.  Vision is so important.

I had to go through the LASIK consultation before I could be approved for the surgery.  It was pretty much eye torture.  Well, maybe torture is a strong word to use.  It was mini eye torture.  They have to shine a lot of bright lights into your eyes...they make you get a puff of air shot into your eyes to test the strength of your cornea...they also had to test to see how moist my eyes kept themselves by placing two stringy things in my eyesocket.  My eyes didn't do very well on that test because they sent me home with drops that I have to put in three times a day until my surgery.  They said the bottoms of my eyes are naturally a little dry.  But, so far, it looks like I'm a good candidate for the procedure.

July 8th is the big day.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Tyler and Julia said...

GOOD LUCK Tara! You CAN do this! My father in-law, brother in-law & aunt (on my side of the family) have all had this done for them and they LOVE it. I wish we had the money for Tyler to have it done right now, but unfortunately we'll both have to wait. It'll be SO nice for you not to have to worry about contacts or glasses though! WAHOOOO!!!