2.22.2012

Ghost Tour

Last weekend Howie and I went on a spooky ghost tour of downtown Salt Lake City.
First we visited the Devereaux Mansion where we were the only people to spot a mysterious orb of light in the upper left hand window.  Our tour guide convinced me that it was a ghost and I believe him.
It looks like a face!
Then we went to the Rio Grande where our guide told us a very sad, scary story.
Once there was a young, newlywed couple waiting on the back platform for a train and they got into an argument.  The wife got so upset at the husband that she threw her wedding ring at him.  He then turned around and threw the ring onto the train tracks.  In a fit of desperation, she ran for the ring and failed to notice the large train coming straight for her.  She was killed.  Our tour company had done a ghost investigation there and caught a recording of a woman saying "My husband pushed me."  Scary!

The Shilo Inn
The Shilo Inn's story was the one about the crazy people that stayed there back in the 70's.  I'm sure you can find the story if you Google it.  Basically, a group of religious nuts stayed in one of the top suites and convinced all their children and followers to commit suicide off the balcony.  So, they did.

Our tour guide outside Shilo Inn.
The old Salt Lake County Building.
And our last stop for the night was the Salt Lake Cemetery.  It is seriously creepy to be there at night.  This was the first time I've ever been there after dark.  We couldn't walk around, but we got off the bus and he told us stories on the curbside.  I guess they've had problems with tour groups desecrating graves so, they banned them.
We also drove down near Memory Grove/Gravity Hill and tried to see the "Hoppity Lady".  I had NEVER heard of that story until this night.  There is said to be a Hoppity Lady ghost that runs through the area in her blood stained wedding dress.  She was killed in a car accident on her wedding day and her husbands head was decapitated and landed in her lap.  She roams the streets looking for her husband.  If you pull your car over and turn off your headlights, then flash your headlights three times while chanting "Hoppity Lady...Hoppity Lady...Hoppity Lady" she will appear!


Unfortunately she did not appear on Saturday night.  No one in our group spotted her.  Darn.


This really was a fun activity.  If you're interested in doing it, you should!  We booked it through Grimm Ghost Tours.  www.grimmghosttours.com 

2 comments:

Rachael said...

That sounds like an awesome date!! So much fun :)

Tyler and Julia said...

Whoa, this entire post really creeped me out! I've heard of the family who committed suicide at Shilo Inn; in fact my grandparents (on my mom's side) knew this family personally. They were all LDS at one point in their lives. I keep saying I don't believe in ghosts, but then I wonder how wrong I could possibly be whenever I hear about places like these. I've Googled haunted places in Utah & I had no idea until I found it, but on this one website it said that Kearns Junior High is haunted! According to utahghost.org, students have reported the ghosts of a family at the top of a staircase (doesn't say which one) staring at them, then the family all walks away slowly. Creepy! I never knew this until just recently. Still, I'm tempted to do a date night like this, obviously w/out the kids (of course!) and so I can hold onto someone if I get too jumpy! :)