5.13.2009

Draper Temple - Family

Tonight I got to do my first session at the Draper Temple. It was kind of spontanious. I got up this morning and just decided "I think I'll go to the Temple tonight". The Draper Temple is probably only about 10 minutes away from my work so, why not?During the session, I sat behind a young girl going through for her own endowments. I'm assuming she's getting married this weekend. Watching her do everything for the first time reminded me of how nervous I was when I went through for mine. I couldn't help but be excited for her. It's such an amazing experience and to share it with your family makes it even more special. She had quite a support group with her. I didn't realize how big her group was until we got into the celestial room. She had parents, friends, and even grandparents. What an exciting time for her.

That's one of the best things for me when I go back to the Temple is remembering the feelings I get each and every time I go. I feel like different things stand out to me each time. It gives me comfort about some things and makes me ponder others. I like to be reminded of our Savior's love for us. I love the feeling I get as soon as I walk into the celestial room. The Temple is truly a holy place on Earth for us and we need to take advantage of it. Speaking of Heaven on Earth, I came across a beautiful hymn while I waited in the chapel for the session to start. Just another example of neat things that can happen in the temple...

Growing up in a family where the kids LOVED to give my parents a hard time, I always wondered if that would come back to me when I decided to start a family. I got a bit of peace of mind when I got my patriarchal blessing. I was SO elated about a part where it says that my children will love to be in my home because it will be a safe haven for them and for their friends. I get teary-eyed whenever I read that part because I feel that it was a direct answer to my prayers. I don't think it can be misinterpreted either. It's pretty clear. Anyway, I came across a hymn called Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth. Ever heard it? I haven't. I just happened to flip to it. Here are the words:

Home can be a heav'n on earth When we are filled with love,
Bringing happiness and joy, Rich blessings from above
Warmth and kindness, charity, safety and security
Making home a part of heaven, Where we want to be.

Drawing family near each week, We'll keep love burning bright.
Serving Him with cheerful hearts, We'll grow in truth and light.
Parents teach and lead the way, Children honor and obey,
Reaching for our home in heaven, Where we want to stay.

Praying daily in our home, We'll feel His love divine;
Searching scriptures faithfully, We'll nourish heart and mind.
Singing hymns of thanks, we'll say, "Father, help us find the way
Leading to our home in heaven, Where we long to stay."

I like the first verse the best. I took this in as another reminder of how important family is and how important it is that we keep it strong by following the council of our church leaders. F.H.E. is an awesome way to do that. I want to start doing Family Home Evening with Howie. That's one thing that we haven't even discussed! Yikes. We are bad. If we get into the habit of it now, we'll be able to share some neat lessons with our kids someday. Well, I think that is a long enough blog entry! Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Tyler and Julia said...

I'm pretty sure that you can still pick up a copy of "Family Home Evening For Newlyweds" at either Deseret Book or Seagull Book. Tyler & I received it as a wedding gift when we got married and it has tons of great ideas in it, in case you're interested.

taraandhowie said...

Thanks Julia! Awesome idea!