7.13.2009

The Gym


Tonight Howie and I went to the gym for the first time in a year and a half! I was surprised how quickly I started feeling the burn. I decided to stretch out a little bit before starting my cardio. I only did 15 minutes of awesome cardio and my legs were already jello. Then I went downstairs to join Howie on the weights and I was already exhausted. Ahhhh! I'm so out of shape! I'll have you all know that the reason why we've returned to the gym is because I found out that I've gained about 20 pounds since I married my sweetheart a year ago. He just feeds me too well. So, now I have a new goal. I'm going to lose 20 pounds and then some. I want to start a low sugar diet. Very low. I'm going to try very hard to cut out all unnecessary sweets. This is SO hard for me because we love to snack. Howie always has some sort of yummy treat within my grasp. I hate the feeling I've had ever since I weighed myself. Stupid doctor's office. If it wasn't for that doctor's appointment, I would've never known! I would've remained happily naive. But now I know and I must do something about it. I don't feel the amount that I weigh. When I saw that number staring back at me all I could say was "what the..?". You know how you hear about how large some people can get (like 1,000 pounds or some crazy number like that) and you think to yourself "gee, you'd think when they got to like 300 pounds they would've done something about it". Well, am I at that point? Am I at the point where I should be DOING something about it instead of thinking "well, I just won't get any bigger". Don't worry. I'm not 300 pounds (certainly nowhere near 1,000 either) but I'm at a point that I feel I shouldn't be. I have to take care of myself. It's time to give back to my body that has done so much for me over the past 27 years. It will be easier to start this now than in the fall/winter time. Too many sweets go around that time of year.
PS: Isn't it ironic that this post comes right after my gushing about eating a Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie from Chili's??

1 comment:

Tyler and Julia said...

I'm right there with you Tara! I've gone from being in shape to being way out of shape off & on ever since I've been married too. I've been trying to do Turbo Jam at least 2 or 3 times a week so that I can get in better shape. I really want to live out the remainder of my life healthy, just as you do. You go girl! :)